American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine
The American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine (ABDSM) is a certification board who’s purpose is protecting members of the public who seek treatment for sleep-disordered breathing through the use of an oral appliance.
A Diplomate is a dentist who has met all the educational requirements and experience required to reach an in-depth level of knowledge, skill and ability. Dr. Schell is a certified Diplomate in the state of New Hampshire.
The Qualifications required to earn a Diplomate status through ABDSM are:
- You must be a licensed dentist.
- You must have completed a minimum of 50 hours of continuing education in dental sleep medicine.
- Delivered a minimum of 12 appliances within the past 12 months.
- Recommendations from at least two board-certified sleep physicians.
- Observed a minimum of 10 hours of operations at a sleep center.
- Pass a rigorous written exam demonstrating competency in dental sleep medicine.
- Demonstrated competency in all phases of oral appliance therapy by presenting actual patient cases to a board of dental sleep medicine peers.